Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Spatially coherent noise

So, I got into the lab at 8:45 today, and it is now 10:15, I'm still here, I've been hitting this problem really hard all day. I was trying to make a model for wind noise based off some equations that I found in an article. But the way it was given in the article was all screwed up, so I've been trying to fix things in my code. I had this one hang up at about 6:00 o'clock that resulted in me nearly losing it, then searching franticly for something mindless to do for an hour to give my mind a break. The end result was, however...

a code that worked just as well but over 20x faster.

I guess that sometimes problems, for all the miserable head-banging sorrow they cause, can result in a better end product than you initially had before you discovered the problem. For example, if I hadn't noticed this small glitch in my program, a) it would have given me incorrect solutions in certain circumstances, and 2) I'd have to spend about an hour for every evaluation. However, it still has a problem with coherency at higher frequencies that I'm sorting out. Well, the simulations probably about over, guess I'd better mozy on down to the lab again

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember all these incredibly important insights about problem solving for when you have kids...
Mom

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home