Friday, June 02, 2006

a lust allegory

The other day I went grocery shopping and the strangest thing happened. As I walked by the produce aisles I had an unexplainable, powerful craving for... vegtables.

This is odd, because the food I normally eat falls into one of only two catagories: red meat and cereal. However, as I walked by the onions, carrots and lettuce, I almost wept over their deliciousness. It was strong enough to motivate me to grab a stalk of lettuce and a bunch of green onions.

My body probably understands what I need better than my mind does, and there is undoubtably a vitamin or mineral in the vegtables that I am deficient in, which my body knows I need. So I would catagorize this passionate desire for vegtables as a "good" desire, even a "righteous" desire, and by buying and enjoying vegtables, I am eating to the glory of God, while at the same time fulfilling a good and holy desire.

However, 15 minutes later, as I was finishing up, I walked by the donuts. Everytime I grocery shop, I have a habit of getting 2 donuts and munching on them in the parking lot before I drive home. Therefore, even though at this time the veggies still appealed to me more (like I said, strange and inexplicable), through sheer force of habit more than anything else I grabbed two donuts, rung up and devoured them.

Wasn't hungry till about 11:00 pm that evening, and it wasn't for veggies anymore.


"Do not let the flesh drive you into self gratification that reduces your felt need of a righteous fulfillment." - Douglas Busby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home