Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Holy Bible

I have been guilty of a type of arrogance that likes to answer certain questions in a completely false manner. Among a few christians, when asked questions like "what are four books I could read over and over:" it is for some reason considered "un-cool" to say first and foremost "THE BIBLE!!!"

I have tried to catagorize the reasons for this vile and corrupt coverup but failed because after having tried to figure out why, all the reasons just seemed so stupid.

You should all know - my "four book I could read over and over:"

That Hideous Strength – C.S. Lewis
Till we have faces – C.S. Lewis
The Princess and the Goblin – George MacDonald
Empyrion: The Search for Fierra – Stephen Lawhead

was a complete lie of a list. I think I've read none of these more than twice, maybe three times. There is really, only one book worth reading over and over and over and over again. This book is God's gift to man, full of perfect wisdom the depths of which can never be fully explored. Every other book in the world will grow old and useless after some number of reads, it may take 1 it may take 400 but there is only one book that I have seen truly transform a person's life.

So in the words of a dear friend, "The bible is the most important book in the whole wide world."
And as for me, and my answers to all the cheesy 1st grade questions:

Who is your favorite person? Jesus!

What do you want to be like, when you grow up? Jesus!

Where do you wish you were right now? In Jesus' presence with my brothers and sisters.

And, what is your four favorite books you could read over and over? There's only one. Jesus' Spirit's written word, the Holy Bible.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Michael Jacobs said...

No, I don't think it can be overstated at all. Keep going in the direction you are going, tim.

11:35 PM  
Blogger tmm said...

Ben, I do not assume this because many Christians I know do not enjoy reading the Bible. They read it because they have too.

Secondly, speaking for myself: if I am really interested in something, I do not think I should let other people's assumptions outweigh my enthusiasm for the subject. Atleast, not in this case.

2:51 PM  
Blogger tmm said...

uh, also, that wasn't intending to beat up on you Ben, nor was I trying to point the finger at anyone else in my post. For people like you and Davis and Davis' Father who's similar posts I have read, I have assumed for all of you that you love and read the scriptures

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home