Wednesday, July 30, 2008

...

So, two unusual things happened today.

During lunch, I bumped into an Indian guy, who for some reason, reminded me of an Indian friend Jaya, who I hadn't seen in a long time, and who I thought had graduated at least a year ago. Then, 20 minutes later, I bumped into Jaya on the street.

Then, today I read a fascinating blog post by an alumnus from my same highschool, about refugees, and recieving kindness from poor people. This reminded me of a Sudanese refugee named Abraham, that I had heard about at SPU, my senior year. His story had been in the paper, about how he basically had walked across a desert, and survived on a couple corn-kernels a day (or something like that), to get to a refugee camp. I sent him an email asking about the story, and the response was of overwhelming gratefullness that someone showed interest.

I couldn't figure this out, because he had suffered a great deal, and had kept the faith, in fact, it seems to have made him stronger. Sending an email to him felt like interacting with someone on a higher level in spiritual hierarchy. But, he was really grateful that someone showed personal interest. In light of the linked post, and remembering this extremely short conversation with Abraham, I wish I had gotten to know the guy. Well, I just visited the SPU page, and ironically, there is an "outstanding graduate" article on him posted right now. He did very well there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home