Monday, April 17, 2006

against the audio industry

Once upon a time I wanted to make amplifiers, or make microphones, and do the cool audiophile thing. I came to Penn State Acoustics. I was initially disappointed upon discovering this program focused on physical acoustics.

Thank God. Really. I am discovering you could reduce all motive force behind the audio industry down to 2 things: arrogance and money. The second is a no-brainer. Do the least amount of work possible to make as much money as you can. It's the way most businesses work. But it is the arrogance that bothers me. People get so pissed off at eachother for the dumbest reasons.

For example: today a professional sound engineer came to speak to the acoustics department about the history of analog tape recording. He broke taboos left and right. "Special people sense sounds up to 50 kHz" "the type of cable you use makes a difference in audio quality" "Digital audio sounds crappy, unless you use 192 kHz sampling and 24 bit resolution" etc. I could see everyone (including me) bristle in their seats. It was pretty clear which side this man took on the life or death "analog vs. digital" debate. He had built up so much of his career around selling these illusions, and placing himself among the "golden eared" elite that can tell the difference between using Monster cables and Radio-shack cables.

It took me about 2 hours to realized that I was doing the exact same thing he was. I knew all this nonsense was gonna come up before I even went to the lecture. The second I saw the picture of the analog tape machine on the flyer for the talk, I thought to myself, "aha! Another opportunity to feel superior to the fellas who believe these audiophile myths."



huh, I guess this isn't a rant "against the audio industry." As I'm typing this I've come to a different conclusion: we all suck and really need Jesus. Praise God that, like we have recently recognized, he humbled himself for us and didn't get ruffled over the stupid things we do. Instead, he

"did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And of course, Jesus didn't listen to music on *any* sort of equipment. Nor, I think, will we be using digital or analog music to praise God in heaven for all eternity.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So which of the two? :)

5:28 PM  
Blogger tmm said...

Woelke: congratulations on your son John Arthur!

And hmmmm... in heaven

I dunno about that one. If Ben would care to elaborate I'd be interested

2:30 PM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

good conclusion!

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home