Sunday, September 17, 2006

Wow. I can tell people really thought that was interesting.

Take the glass tube, and orient it vertically.
Dip the bottom end of the tube in the washtub with water.
pour some motor oil on the surface of the water.
Whack the tuning fork.
Hold to the top of the glass tube.
Lower the pipe into the water until the tunning fork and tube suddenly sound very loud.
Pull the tube out of the water
Measure the distance between the top, dry part of the tube and the mark left by the motor oil.
(This distance is one quarter of a wavelength at 440 Hz).
Multiply the length by four.
C = 440*(length measured * 4);
use C^2 = gamma*r*T and solve for tempurature.

5 Comments:

Blogger Colin Clout said...

I don't know that it wasn't an interesting problem as that it made us use many concepts we weren't used to.

When you were out here for your sister's wedding you asked me some philosophical question that I was easily and quickly able to answer. This quick answer really impressed you--you had thought about it for a long time and hand't found a solution. But it was easy for me because it was in my area. Likewise though I had the technical aparatus to answer the question, I didn't know where to begin. It was easy (or relatively so) for you because it is your area. But I did find it both an interesting problem and an intersting solution.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was an interesting problem. Although I never commented about it, I was thinking about it all weekend. My solution didn't use the motor oil. Why is the motor oil significant?

This week I'm working on a terribly uninteresting quantum prelim problem. Wanna trade?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Colin Clout said...

Because it will leave a line, like on a dip-stick.

12:56 PM  
Blogger tmm said...

Wow, cool, people were pondering, all along. Yeah, the motor oil was for dip-sticking, to verbify the thing. Hmmm, sorry John, I don't think so ;) But good luck

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pure physics doesn't care about dip-sticking, you silly engineer. :P

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home