Monday, May 21, 2007

concerning Logos

Recently, I've been hearing a lot of smack talk about my old high school, Logos. I don't have the patience, or the readership to write a really long "defense" of the school, but it seems on a surface level that most of these comments are stemming from bitterness and not thoughtful evaluation.

My own opinion of the school sort of went like this:

********
1) Junior high - wanted to leave.

2) High school - neutral about it, except that since I was so crazy about Sally I didn't want to leave anymore (haha).

3) Senior year - loved it, because I loved my class.

4) After 1 year - nostalgic. As a side note, I would like to add that, due to Logos' education, I was ahead of 99% of all the other students in all subjects ranging from biology to calc to liturature. Also, "why do some girls get pissed when I hold the door for them?"

5) After 2 years - slightly suspicious of some of the world view related things I learned at Logos. Later in the year, really suspicious.

6) Next few years - some genuine irritation with the school, and trying to sift through which of the world-view related things I learned I should keep or discard.

7) Recently - downright grateful for the school, but recognizing that it is heading in some problematic directions.
**********

I can identify with people who feel like they learned some things at Logos which did not, uh, reflect the reality outside of the little Logos community in Moscow Idaho. I had to do some major thought-line reconstruction after I graduated.

So, if I wanted to be miserable, I could get bitter I suppose. But lets think about this: you are probably irritated with Logos for 1 of 2 reasons. Either 1) because it taught you to think wrong things, or 2) because of past grievances of a personal nature.

In the case of 1), you might be right. I can think of a whole list of things I completely disagree with, that I was taught at Logos. However, something Logos did extremely well was teach a person how to think, even if you disagreed with what was being taught. If you are a graduate of Logos, but disagreeing with the way it does things, obviously it doesn't just churn out mindless automatons. On the flip side, something Logos DID do for you is give you a much better ability to figure out exactly where you disagree with them, and for what reasons you do so. This isn't to hard to argue - Logos is very good academically. Statistically they do extremely well on standardized tests, and most graduates will tell you that they were leagues ahead of their colleagues when entering their first year of college.

In the case of 2), where you have past grievances, this is mostly your own problem. Someone may have unjustly done something to you there, or taught you crappy things that have really hurt you. In which the correct response is to confront with sin and deal with it, not complain about it on the web, and laud others who do. But, if you remember the parable of the unmerciful servant, you have really no reason to be bitter. What they owe you vs. what you owe God is like comparing a couple bucks to millions. If you want to hold it against them just remember "forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us."

If Logos is continuing to do some things which you perceive as damaging, then this is certainly a good reason to not send your kid there. And, perhaps, if your friend is considering sending their child their, warning them about. And, if you are really really bent out of shape about it, writing to the school and attempting to fix. However, forming a circle of people who just want to rip on the school is in no way productive.

For myself, I have returned to Logos many times, and sat in on classes. These are my observations:

good:
1) The students take their work seriously.
2) The students participate whole heartedly, and enjoy learning.
3) They discuss the subject material at a very high level.
4) They don't laugh at the dumb kids or the smart kids.
5) They treat professors and each other with respect.
6) The professors love teaching. And, love the kids.
7) Parents are involved in their children's education.

bad:
1) Unaware, for the most part, of the culture outside of the school.
2) The students are not exposed, first hand, to a wide variety of perspectives and may not see the legitimacy behind world-views that aren't nearly exactly like their own.
3) The school breeds very little compassion for people.
4) Some of the upper-level faculty seem to insist that their method of education is the only legitimate method of education.

The first 2 in the bad list are due, in large part, to the continual absorption of the school by Christ Church, in Moscow. I respect the church, and the pastor certainly, but I see that Logos is in bit of a bind. On the one hand, (and this is hear-say,) I have heard that the Christ Church community has criticized Logos for being too worldly. As a result, families in Christ Church are less inclined to send their kids to the school. Considering that this is where most of Logos' funding comes from, it would basically spell the end of the school if it lost the support of that church. However, if Logos is absorbed by Christ Church, this means the alienation of any people in the school who do not attend that church. Furthermore, it really restricts the perspectives that the students are exposed to.

And, lastly, about being culturally unprepared after graduation. This may be true, but people are amazingly flexible. My personal experience is that I've gotten to know a wide variety of people, been a wide variety of places, and done a wide variety of things, and I've adapted just fine. Most people I can think of from my class appear to be functioning in society just fine, (or, if they aren't, it doesn't seem to be a result of their high school so much as other problems), even if they say otherwise.

Now, I wonder if anyone will read this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tim,

i dig, though my perspective may be a little different from yours.

i never experienced the "let-down" or disillusionment about Logos, mostly because i didn't have particularly high-hopes going in. having been enrolled in several other institutions (both public and private) prior to Logos, i was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the education and the gracious, godly example of the teachers (despite having to spend most of my time in the principal's office). not perfect, sure, but as institutions run by sinners go, Logos has done pretty well. mostly seems that the folks who bitch and moan about their high-school need something more productive to do with their time than straining at gnats.

in any event, are you going to be in ye olde moscow this summer (or the east coast ever)? i'm visiting with the fam in july. it'd be nice to see you.

and when you get a free minute, stop by the old blog at www.bennettcarnahan.wordpress.com. i'm planning on being a marxist pig this week as soon as i get finals graded.

blessings,

ben

9:00 AM  
Blogger thebeloved said...

I agree. And although I was sometimes surprised by things in life, have you ever met someone who came out completely prepared for the world at the age of 18?

7:02 AM  
Blogger mabcat said...

Hi Tim: I found your perspective on Logos to be very well-considered and thoughtful. Thank you for being considerate and frank. I agree that some things have taken a troubling trajectory. It has taken me many years since leaving to humble myself before God, and address my own life before Him. As I have grown as a Christian (by the grace of God), I see more clearly the absolute necessity for seeking wisdom and humility while considering the school and the education we received there. I don't believe that the Logos/Classical model is perfect. And I don't believe that administrators, teachers or students are perfect either.
My prayer for the school is that the gospel of Christ be glorified there and shared in a compassionate, humble way to the world.
As humans, we are all capable of a great deal of hypocrisy, deceit and sin. That is as true at Logos as anywhere else in the world. And many of us can vouch for that. I suppose the question becomes, "What will you do with what you think about this school?" My answer has come down to this: Surrender it to God. Follow Him, Seek His face. God is BIGGER than this one school in this small town.
That being said, I will admit that this school and its intricacies and its policies have occupied a great deal of my thought life. Frankly, it has been a struggle at times. I fight with myself constantly, trying to balance out that good that is being done there, versus things I find problematic (i.e., the isolationism, lack of compassion, lack of interaction with "reality"). I say this because the reality I was taught at Logos never really fleshed out in the real world. I am talking about the vicious knife-fight approach to apologetics, particularly has taken a long time and alot of prayer and study of Scripture to heal. Well, sorry for rambling on...I just wanted to let you know that your words evidence thoughtfulness. I appreciate that!
Your friend,
MLD

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home